Sunday 30 November 2014

Difference between Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1c) and Blood Glucose (葡基化的血红蛋白 (HbA1c) 和血糖之间的区别)

Difference between Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1c) and Blood Glucose (葡基化的血红蛋白 (HbA1c) 和血糖之间的区)
In my previous posts, I have not included my test result on HbA1c which is one of the most important test results for a diabetic.
HbA1c refers to Glycosylated Hemoglobin.  By measuring Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1c), clinicians are able to get an overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over a period of weeks/months.  Measuring HbA1c is important for people with diabetes as the higher the HbA1c, the greater the risk of developing diabetes-related complications.
HbA1c vs Blood Glucose Level
From my discussion with many people, most, if not all, cannot distinguish the difference between HbA1c and Blood Glucose Level.  They have the impression both tests are identical.  Here is the difference:
·         HbA1c – measures the average blood glucose in the blood over the past 6 to 8 weeks
·         Blood Glucose Level – A measure of the concentration of glucose in one’s blood at a single point in time, i.e., at that point of time only when blood is taken from a finger [My personal experience – By monitoring my pre and post meal glucose level, I can determine how good I am controlling and adjusting the portion of foods.]
HbA1c Target
·         Excellent – less than 6%
·         Satisfactory – 6% to 8%
·         Poor – more than 8%
Blood Glucose Target
·         Pre-meal glucose (mmol/l) – 4.0 – 7.0
·         2-hour post meal glucose (mmol/l) – < 10.0
Both sets of Target are provided by one of the largest local hospitals.
I will include my HbA1c result in my next “Blood Test & Creatinine Report” update.
Underlying message of my Post to you & your family’s health:
High Risk Groups & Pre-Diabetic:
Family history – My father is a diabetic.  As such, I am considered as a high risk group.   In other words, diabetes is within family history, PLEASE have regular check-ups and watch your diets to avoid complicatins
Race – Certain races such as Chinese, Hispanics are considered high risk group
Pre-Diabetic – Very likely to develop diabetics.
For these groups, regular doctor check-ups are highly recommended.  Most important of all, do follow up on your doctor’s advice and recommendations.  By taking extra efforts at the beginning, it will pro-long reaching end stage kidney failure.
Diabetic:
One of my major mistakes was that I did not conduct pre and post meals glucose testing when I was diagnosed with diabetes.  As a result, I was not aware the right size of my meal portion.  I was depended on my Doctor to control my diabetes which eventually where dialysis is required.  Do not let this happen to you.
Being diabetic who is insulin dependent, pre meal glucose testing can determine or adjust the amount of insulin to be given to oneself taking into consideration of one’s pre meal glucose level as well as the type of food to be taken.  Post meal testing result will provide whether one is right in the judgment of insulin level injected.
Pre and post meal glucose level testing will go a long way before reaching end stage kidney failure (stage 5 in medical terms) OR one may not reach there with proper diet and exercise.
[My personal experience – I am doing home blood glucose monitoring to ensure good control of my diabetes.]
Post-Transplant Group:
Besides Cyclosporine, Prograf® is another prescribed medicine to help prevent organ rejection in people who have had a kidney, liver, or heart transplant.  One of the drawbacks of Prograf® is it may lead to diabetic.
Having spoken and discussed with patients in this group, they have been advised to do post meal glucose testing to ensure glucose is under control and do not have any harmful consequences to the organ.
Other Relevant Posts for your Reading:

·     Type 2 Diabetes - 10 Myths & Facts [10个神话&事实关于第二类型糖尿病]

·     Neighborhoods That Encourage Walking Reduce Obesity and Diabetes {鼓励更多步行的邻里有助于减少肥胖病和糖尿病}

·     Diabetes Nutritional Gains from Healthy Whole Grains (糖尿病营养-从整个五谷获取健康)

I am not a Medical Doctor. All my blog postings are my personal experience that I've went thru and what I've read up from internet. If you've any symptoms of diabetes OR want to better manage your health, I strongly urge you to have regular medical-ups to avoid future complications. In addition, control your diet portions and have regular exercise.  (我不是一位医生。所有我的博克投稿是我有经历的我的个人经验,并且我从互联网读了。如果您有糖尿病的任何症状或要更好处理您的健康,我强烈敦促您有规则健康检以避免未来复杂化另外,控制您的饮食部分并且有定期运动.)

No comments:

Post a Comment