Saturday 20 December 2014

Blood Test Report & Creatinine {Update#8} (验血报告&肌氨酸酐)

Blood Test Report & Creatinine {Update#8} (验血报告&肌氨酸)
How many of you are aware what a Creatinine is and why a test is being carried out.  How it being measured and what is are the complications if one has a high creatinine.  When my Nephrologist told me I have a Creatinine, it never registered to me that I was moving to end stage renal failure.
So what is Creatinine?
Creatinine is a waste product made by the muscles. Creatinine passes into the bloodstream filters through the kidneys and eliminates in urine.  Healthy kidneys filter creatinine and other waste products from your blood. If one’s kidneys are not functioning properly, an increased level of creatinine may accumulate in the blood.
How to test Creatinine?
A blood sample is being drawn from one’s vain and the result can indicate whether one’s kidneys are functioning properly.  The acceptable creatinine result range is 54-101 UMOL/L which can be varied from hospital to hospital and between male and female.  The said range is being used by the hospital I am visiting.
Doctors measure the blood creatinine level as a test of kidney function. The kidneys' ability to handle creatinine is called the creatinine clearance rate, which helps to estimate the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) – the rate of blood flow through the kidneys.  A low GFR indicates possible kidney disease and warrant further investigations by the doctors to identify why the renal functions have decreased.
Doctor may check the level of creatinine in one’s urine – patient is asked to collect 24 hours’ worth of urine in a container.  Such test will provide more accuracy in determining the level of kidney failures.
What are the symptoms of too much Creatinine?
While some may not have any symptoms at all while others may find out they have high creatinine in a routine blood test.  Some possible symptoms include:
·        Feeling tired
·        Dehydration
·        Confusion
·        Loss of appetite – Especially during end stage of renal failure
Other abnormal blood test levels on sodium, potassium, chloride and bicarbonate may indicate a kidney problem.  I have a posting on renal failure due to high blood pressure.
In my previous post, “HbA1c vs Blood Glucose”, I have mentioned that I will include my test result on HbA1c in this posting.  Being a diabetic, HbA1c is one of the most important factors how well I have been controlling my blood sugar via diet and exercises.  After talking to many people, I found that majority are not aware of what is HbA1c.  Prior to my transplant, I didn’t monitor my blood glucose pre and post meal.
A laboratory test was carried out in mid-December to verify the appropriateness of the dosage and the result is within the expectation of Nephrologist.  Most important – Creatinine is stable (肌氨酸酐是稳定).
Nephrologist (肾脏病学) has decided to reduce the evening dosage of my Mycophenolate Mofetil (Cellcept®) from 500mg to 250mg.
Here are the results:
Date
HbA1c
mmol/L
Peak (UG/L)
Creatinine
Cyclosporine Taking
Dec 2014
5.1
621
87
125 mg - OM
110 mg – ON
(No actions are required)
Aug 2014
5.6
896
109
125 mg - OM
110 mg – ON
(No actions are required)
Jul 2014
Not
Available
1381
107
125 mg - OM
110 mg – ON
(reduction in OM & ON)
With my HbA1c is within excellent range, my way of exercising and diet control have proven to be correct.  I don’t jog but walk.  Though I avoid some foods, I control my portion of all other foods.
Since my transplant, I did not do anything unusual in the manner of taking my drugs as compare to my earlier post “Post-Transplant Medications” (我没有做什么异常以服我的药方):
1.     I always take my drugs on time (我总是准时服我的)
2.     I take my drugs with HL milk for better absorption and for my daily calcium intake (我使HL牛奶服药达更好的吸收和完部分每日钙的需)
Do take note that renal doctor DID NOT adjust the dosage on the basis of test results alone.  There are other indicators that he will review before making the final and crucial decision. (注意à 肾脏医生没有根据单独测试结果调整剂量。他在做出最后和关键的决定前将回顾的其他显示)
Underlying message of my Post to you & your family’s health:
High Risk Groups:
1.  Persons who have kidney disease and high blood pressure may lead to kidney failure.  Persons with high blood pressure have to monitor their diets closely.
2.  Persons who are taking medications which are affecting the renal function.
It is highly recommended to have a creatinine test.  Remedies can be taken to avoid further complications
Diabetic:
For this group, doctor may recommend to have a creatinine test at least once a year.
Post-Transplant Group:
Creatinine is one of the most important and basic blood test for all post-transplant patients.  How frequent will depend on the conditions of individual patient as well as the hospital.  A typical outpatient schedule is recommended as follow:
·         First 2 weeks – Twice weekly
·         Up to first 3 months – Once a week
·         4th to 6th month – Every two weeks
·         7th to 9th month –Every three weeks
·         10th to 12th month – Every four weeks
·         After first 1 year – Every 2 – 3 months
Other Relevant Posts for your Reading (您能其他相关的博):

·      Type 2 Diabetes - 10 Myths & Facts [10个神话&事实关于第二类型糖尿病]

·      Neighborhoods That Encourage Walking Reduce Obesity and Diabetes {鼓励更多步行的邻里有助于减少肥胖病和糖尿病}

·      Diabetes Nutritional Gains from Healthy Whole Grains (糖尿病营养-从整个五谷获取健康)

·      Foods NOT Suitable for Diabetic {Update#1} (食物不适于糖尿病患者)



I am not a Medical Doctor. All my blog postings are my personal experience that I've went thru and what I've read up from internet. If you've any symptoms of diabetes OR want to better manage your health, I strongly urge you to have regular medical-ups to avoid future complications. In addition, control your diet portions and have regular exercise.  (我不是一位医生。所有我的博克投稿是我有经历的我的个人经验,并且我从互联网读了。如果您有糖尿病的任何症状或要更好处理您的健康,我强烈敦促您有规则健康检以避免未来复杂化另外,控制您的饮食部分并且有定期运动.)


No comments:

Post a Comment